Thursday, February 25, 2010

Meatballs & Smothered Meatballs w/ Rice Recipe

I am a HUGE fan of meatballs. I think are yummy and delicious and should be eaten everyday! BUT... I could never find a good recipe or one that wasn't super complicated or didn't require odd ingredients (that I normally would not have).

I found this meatball recipe a few months ago and forgot about it until tonight. So needless to say, we are having meatballs for dinner (they are baking as I type). To be more clear, we are having...
Smothered Meatballs over Rice
(my daughter's plate)


I got this "idea" from my Nana when I was 18 or 19 and trying to impress a boy. Expect the version she told me involved frozen meatballs from Costco and boxed mash potatoes. It is really good over either one. I usually used mash potatoes when I made this but I don't have anymore right now.

On to the recipe.

Smothered Meatballs over Rice/Mash Potatoes
printer friendly version coming soon
Meatballs
(makes 32 tbsp size)

1 lb lean ground meat
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp onion
1/4 tsp cilantro
Dash of paprika
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp black pepper
1 slightly beaten LARGE egg
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 tsp dried oregano
2 tsp dried parsley
1 tbsp of garlic powder

1 can of Cream of Celery
Steamed Rice or Mashed Potatoes
(the kind and the amount is your choice)

Seasoning for Cream of Celery

1/2 tbsp of Italian Seasoning
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp onion
1/4 tsp garlic

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with foil*
  • Mix ALL meatball ingredients together
  • Using your cookie scoop or a TBSP measuring spoon, scoop out and shape balls. Place then on the sheet about a half inch apart (just so they don't touch)
  • Bake in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes
While the meatballs cook make the rice or mash potatoes and cream of celery
  • Follow the instructions on the can to make the Cream of Celery
  • Add the seasonings
  • Cook on low/simmer
  • When the meatballs are done let them cool for a minute or two
  • Add meatballs to the sauce**
  • Cover and simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally
  • Serve over the rice
ENJOY!



* The foil is NOT required. I only use it because it speeds the cleaning process for me.
** I only used half of the meatballs and that was enough to feed my family of 5. I would either freeze the other half for later or refrigerate them to eat tomorrow with gravy and served over mash potatoes or rice.




Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...