Saturday, March 6, 2010

Ribbon / Infant Headband Tutorial

Here is the tutorial I was trying to put together yesterday when my super awesome machine told me ...
NO!
So I whipped out my trusty old Singer and did it ANYWAY! (haha Brother PC-8200).
Okay. Back to the point...
While doing RyleighReneé's hair the other day, I realized that the headband I was using was SUPER easy to make.



Keep reading to make one too ...
What you need:

  • Ribbon (at least 5/8in. I tired it with 3/8 and was not a huge fan of it) Also, keep in mind that if you use a ribbon with a "printed" design on it It will be slightly stiffer than ribbon without it.
  • Elastic (1/4 in for 5/8 ribbon or 1/8 in for 3/8ribbon)
  • Lighter
  • Scissors
  • Ruler and/or child it is for
Measure the elastic around the child's head. Mark your place and measure on the ruler and subtract 1in. Mine measured 18 so I cut it at 17in.



Now measure your ribbon by DOUBLE what the elastic measured. Mine was 18in, so I measured and cut TWO strips of ribbon 36in long.



Use your lighter to heat seal the ends of the ribbon. Simple put the flame near the edge of the ribbon for 10 to 15 seconds. It will look like it is melting a little. You also have the option of using fray check, but then you have to WAIT 30 minutes for it to dry.

Pin the WRONG sides of the ribbon together.


Sew down both sides of the ribbon. Stay as CLOSE to the edge as you can possibly get.


Using a Loop Tuner or a safety pin, thread the elastic through the ribbon.

Leave the elastic out and zig zag stitch them together.



Pull the ends of the ribbon together and sew them together as well.


And there you have it ... A nice and simple headband.




You can embellish it more by gluing some flowers or bows on it. Or for a less permanent option:

  1. Cut a piece of ribbon about 1/2in long.
  2. Heat seal the ends.
  3. Glue one side to the back of the ribbon. Let it cool.
  4. Wrap the other end of the ribbon around the headband and glue the other end to the same spot as the first.
  5. Than you can simply use ANY barrette with the headband by clipping it to the loop you just made.
**if that didn't make sense, let me know and I show you with pictures.**

I would love to see what you make with this and any other tutorial I post. So please send me your pictures.


Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...