*4 -Rectangle shaped scrap fabric
any size will do
*Ribbon, fabric scrap, bias tape...etc
to make a handle
*1/8 to 1/4 in elastic
the amount depends on the width of your fabric all sewn together
*Serger or Sewing machine set to zigzag stitch
What to do:
1. Measure and cut all 4 pieces of fabric to the same length. The width does not have to be the same. That is up to you. I like mine to look all "willy nilly" so I didn't worry about the width.
2. Serge across the shortest ends of your 4 fabric pieces. If you do NOT have a serger, sew a 1/4 in hem on all the shortest ends of your 4 pieces.
3. Pin 2 pieces WRONG sides together. You should have 2 sets of fabric pinned. If you do NOT want the seams to show, pin the right sides together.
4. Serger/Sew ONE side of those pinned sets together.
5. Unpin them and and lay one piece on top of the other WRONG sides together. Right sides together for hidden seams.
6. Pin and serger/sew down ONE side.
7. * Unpin and lay the fabric flat WRONG side up. Depending on the width of elastic used fold a 1/4 to 3/4 in hem at the bottom of your fabric. SEW across the hem.
8. Attach a safety pin to the end of the elastic and thread it through the hem.
9. With the RIGHT side facing ... Scrunch the fabric around the elastic making it as tight or as loose as you would like the bottom hole to be. There will be elastic hanging out and that is what you want. Pin the fabric and elastic together.
10. Serger down the last unsewn side starting with the bottom end (where the elastic is).The serger with cut off the extra ends of the elastic.
11. SEW on the strap and you are done.
for sewing machine users or if you are hiding the seams...
7a. Sew down the last unsewn side.
8a. Depending on the width of elastic used fold a 1/4 to 3/4 in hem at the bottom of your fabric. Sew across the hem. MAKE SURE TO LEAVE A HOLE TO THREAD THE ELASTIC THROUGH ABOUT 1/2 in wide.
9a. Measure the total width of your piece and cut the elastic 1 to 2 in shorter than that. The shorter the elastic the tighter the bottom hole will be.
10a. Attach a safety pin to one end of the fabric and thread it through.
11a. Scrunch the fabric around the elastic and sew the ends together.
12a. Tuck the elastic back into the hem and sew the 1/2 in whole closed.
13a. Sew on handle and enjoy.
Let me know if you have any questions or if I made a mistake anywhere. I would also love to see pics of what you create.