Monday, June 28, 2010

MAKE IT MONDAY ~ 4th of July Cupcakes (a 1/2 fail)

Today we are making ... CUPCAKES! YAY! I know it has been awhile since I baked but we will take care of that today. This is also the first time I have made something for a holiday in time to post it on the blog. Here they are

Stuffed 4th of July cupcakes




Before we get started, let me put out my disclaimer. These do not look like I had planned them too. Nor, is the consistency of the cupcakes what I planned them to be either. I will tell you where and how to avoid my mistakes.

What you need:

Your favorite WHITE cake/cupcake recipe

Red & blue gel food coloring

Small circle cookie cutter OR a large piping tip

Small star cookie cutter

White fondant

Your favorite WHITE icing recipe*

*find the link to what I used below


What to do:

1. Make cake batter and divide it in half in two separate bowls.


2. Add small amounts of the food coloring until you get the desired color.

*I did not do this. I added a butt load of color which made the cupcakes bake up kinda weird and sticky. They also took 10 minutes longer to bake.



3. Put the red color cake batter into the baking cups first. Make sure the batter covers the bottom and does not go more then a 1/4 of the way up.




4. Add the blue next. Do not fill the cups more then 3/4 full. Also make sure the blue batter completely covers the red.




5. Bake as your recipe says.


6. They should come out looking something like this.




7. If you have not already done so, make your icing now. I used the Wilton Butter cream recipe at medium consistency. I did not use any butter. Instead, I used a full cup of shorting (do not use the fat free kind), 1/2 tsp of butter flavor extract, and 1/2 tsp of vanilla. Everything else was the same.



8. Using your round cookie cutter, hollow it the center just up to the red part of the cupcake. If you don't have a round cookie cutter small enough use what ever will get the job done. MAKE SURE YOU SAVE THE PIECE YOU JUST TOOK OUT.




9. Fill a Ziploc or pastry bag with some WHITE icing. I just used a Ziploc because I was not using a icing tip. Just cut a whole in the corner for the icing to come out of.




10. Squeeze a small amount of icing into the hole you just made inside the cupcake. Do not over fill it. There should be enough icing to just fill the hole.




11. Place the piece you cut out back into the cupcake covering the icing.




12. Cut out your fondant stars.


13. Pipe on some icing, place the fondant star, and Voila! You have made a Stuffed 4th of July cupcake.





If you want to get the double color swirl in the icing like I have done, just add the two colors in layers in the same piping bag. Squeeze the icing out until the colors start to blend as they come out. I also used a 1m tip to get the swirl. I had planned on doing stripes on top of the cupcakes but they all baked up so weird that it did not look right. You could also use this same colored batter idea to make rainbow cupcakes or even some cool stripes. Just remember to use small amounts of color.lol.

I hope you enjoyed.


Photobucket

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...