Today we are going to be making ... CLAY. Yes ... I said clay. Now don't freak out ... this stuff is not as bad as Play Dough. It is water souluble so clean up is a breeze. It also air dries nicely so you can make beads (like my kids) or mini statues of whatever.
1 cup of cornstarch
1 1/4 cup of cold water
2 cups of baking soda
food coloring (optional)
1. Put the baking soda and cornstarch into a medium size pot and add the cold water.
2. Stir mixture until it is smooth.
3. Heat the mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes stirring consistently until it thickens and turns into dough. If you are adding color do it before you heat the mixture. Add at least 8 drops of food color. Keep in mind, colors fade slightly with drying.
3a. If you want to do multiple colors divide the mixture evenly between NO MORE than 3 pots.
3b. Add color to mixtures before heating.
4. If you have divided the mixture, heat mixture over medium heat for 3 minutes stirring consistently until it thickens and turns into a dough.
5. Remove the dough from the pots and let it cool . Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes.
6. Give it to the kids and let them enjoy.
Don't forget about the giveaway ... it ends TOMORROW night.